FSLogix is a set of solutions that enhance, enable, and simplify non-persistent Windows computing environments. This solution are appropriate for Virtual environments in both public and private clouds. This solution includes:
- Profile Container – Profile Container redirects the entire user profile to a remote location. Profile Container configuration defines how and where the profile is redirected.
- Office Container – Office Container will generally be implemented with another profile solution. Other solutions must be configured to exclude the portions of the profile managed by Office Container. When using Office Container, both applications and users see the portions of the profile managed by Office Container as if they’re located on the local drive.
- Application Masking – The purpose of this is to manage user access of installed components. Application Masking is most often applied to manage non-persistent, virtual environments, such as Virtual Desktops.
Heres some features of FSLogix:
- Maintain user context in non-persistent environments
- Minimize sign in times for non-persistent environments
- Optimize file IO between host/client and remote profile store
- Native (Local) profile experience, eliminating many compatibility issues with solutions using visible redirection, such as User Profile Disk (UPD).
- Simplify the management of applications and ‘Gold Images’
- Specify the version of Java to be utilized by specific URL and applications
- Redirect user profiles to a network location using Profile Container. Profiles are placed in VHD(X) files and mounted at run time. It’s common to copy a profile to and from the network, when a user signs in and out of a remote environment. Because user profiles can often be large, sign in and sign out times often became unacceptable. Mounting and using the profile on the network eliminates delays often associated with solutions which copy files.
- Redirect only the portion of the profile that contains Office data by using Office Container. Office Container allows an organization already using an alternate profile solution to enhance Office in a non-persistent environment. This functionality is useful with the Outlook .OST file.
- Applications use the profile as if it were on the local drive. Because the FSLogix solutions use a Filter Driver to redirect the profile, applications don’t recognize that the profile is on the network. Obscuring the redirection is important because many applications won’t work properly with a profile stored on remote storage.
- Profile Container is used with Cloud Cache to create resilient and highly available environments. Cloud Cache places a portion of the profile VHD on the local hard drive. Cloud Cache also allows an administrator to specify multiple remote profile locations. The Local Cache, with multiple remote profile containers, insulates users from network and storage failures.
- Application Masking manages access to an application, font, printer, or other items. Access can be controlled by user, IP Address range, and other criteria. Application Masking significantly decreases the complexity of managing large numbers of gold images.