One would think that a company such as Microsoft would remember to keep a key feature with one of its prime programs, Microsoft Outlook and archiving of email even if the program was made for a Mac machine. I recently ran across an issue where a client using a Mac ran out of mailbox space and did not know how to archive her email. In researching the issue I discovered there is no archiving or mailbox clean up utility function for Outlook:Mac 2011. Your best option is to 1) export your outlook items or 2) create a rule that will basically archive your mail.
Export to an Outlook for Mac file:
1. On the File menu, click Export
2. Click Outlook for Mac Data File
3. Select an option to filter by category or item type.
4. Click the right arrow to continue, you’ll need to select to “No, do not delete items” or “Yes, delete items after they are exported”
5. Click the right arrow to continue, and it will ask you where you want to save and then it will begin the export process. That’s
pretty much it on getting items exported out.
I did find that the second option where you create a rule to archive works best.
NOTE: The first thing you want to do is allow your hard drive to be seen in Outlook. To do this go to “Preferences” click on the “General” and then un-check the box for “Hide On My Computer folders”. This will allow you to archive locally.
Now onto the Rules creations…
1. Go to Tools menu and select Rules.
2. Select Exchange in the rules window, and click the “+” sign to add a new rule.
3. Name the rule and set the conditions ie: and list the days old. You will also have it set it to Do the Following: Move Message and tell it where you want it moved to (ie: place it in to a folder, I just created a folder called Archive on my computer). Once complete make sure the Enabled button is selected then click OK to close out of this window.
4. To apply this rule to your current mailbox go to the Message menu, select Rules, then the rule you would like to run.
Though Microsoft failed in getting a vital component into their application, the work around does resolve the issue when you need to clean up your mailbox.