Here in recent months bva has been asked by more than one client for a reliable wireless solution that can cover an internal and external office area. There are several great products out there that are perfect but also become very expensive and can really rack up the cost after software, routers, and access points are purchased. It really ends up being a very complex system that requires a server and management. Of course that is one more unit to manage and patch, which can be painful. bva‘s goal here is to make things easier and reduce management time if possible. That being said we went out and tried to find a product that was hard-coded which was an appliance that really allows for easy management that is cost effective. This solution is under $700 which gets you a router and two external/internal wireless access points. This unit also comes with an easy GUI interface that allows easy management and control which is huge. It is important to perform an assessment that addresses the following questions:
- do you understand the architecture of the building; angles; materials (sheet-rock, block, metal, etc)?
- needed access point frequency?
- coverage area per square feet inside and outside areas?
- physical limitations/other signals present?
- what is power options for the proposed area?
- connectivity for the AP locations needed to occupy?
- do you have POE switches in that area or will each Access Point need it’s own power?