In today’s world, you need fast Wi-Fi. Network World gives nine tips to keep Wi-Fi running full speed.
- Minimize interference. Double-check channel selections to eliminate co-channel interference. Consider a map-based surveying solution.
- Use 5GHz and band steering. The 5GHz band offers more channels.
- Make sure to use only WPA2 security with AES encryption.
- Reduce SSIDs. Each SSID consumes airtime.
- Don’t hide SSIDs; instead, use the enterprise mode of WPA2 for security.
- Disable lower data rates and standards to connect to better access points.
- Configure channel widths appropriately according to band size.
- Shorten packet sizes and transmission times; together, you’ll notice the difference.
- Upgrade older standards to 802.11n or 802.11ac.